Friday, October 10, 2008

The Examined Life...

Socrates once said, "An unexamined life is not worth living."
Well, then...I'm guilty for not examining my life lately. I have to make time to think about the things that I have done.

School has been moving along so fast. I'm really building the ship as we have already started sailing. Some students are moving faster than anticipated, but still a lot are moving slower than I had hoped. Nonetheless, I got to show one of my favorite documentaries this week to a group of about 17 people, which is a lot considering that it's night school and that attendance is spotty, at best.

There are a bunch of questionable aspects of the movie that I was worried about, but I also think that they are necessary in order to get the full impact of the movie and the nature of the situation in Sierra Leone. While I knew that the kids would have no problem with some of the language and some of the harsh, bloody images, I was somewhat scared when my principal's wife (who was substitute teaching that day) and the Social Studies teacher (60 year old or so dude) wanted to watch it as well.

We took an intermission half-way through, and the principal's wife didn't come back. Apparently, she couldn't really take it, but was very appreciative that I was showing such a shocking film dealing with such relevant issues and that the kids were genuinely into it.

Next week, we are going to a play and, of course, I'm in charge of the field trip. My principal wants to meet my "significant other." I'm more than happy to have him along (he's great!), it's just difficult for me to incorporate a new person, fully, into my life. There is a part of me that misses my old relationship, but most of me is happy to be in a healthy one. I think it's the thought of my old relationship that I miss the most--there was almost no work--everyone knew us as "together"--we moved here together, built our life together and, unfortunately, we were somewhat lost in one another and I'm still (even after 6 months) trying to find the old, independent self that I was before him.

I think I'm over-examining things because I'm on my period. That, and chocolate sounds way too interesting right now. Food Not Bombs did nothing for my gnarly sweet tooth I'm having right now.

More updates later. I'm going to see Hirax with Engorged and Superbad at the Satyricon tonight. Novelty headbanging and binge drinking (not me, of course) is about to ensue. Yay.

No comments: