Sunday, November 2, 2008

Week From Hell, Last Words?, Halloween

This last week was crazy busy. I worked around 50 hours in 4 days. I will, however, get paid extra for it and get some grad school credits out of the way so that I don't have to scramble before I renew my license in a few years.

I had to attend 2 7-hour sessions of a "Proficiency-Based" Credit seminar. It was somewhat redundant and is basically what I do anyway, but I think it's great that Portland Public School District is adopting it and paying us to learn about it. It also means that I have my work cut out for me in the next few weeks.

I had a few back and forth emails with Cole in the last week--a lot of which resulted in a mutual enigma in which we both have no idea when or if we should talk again. But, it was too much to think about in the midst of my crazy week.

Halloween came and went and I couldn't keep my mind off of how unlike Halloween it felt like. It was officially, my first Halloween that did not really feel like Halloween, but I guess that is what it is to grow up. I tried my hardest to try and find something clever, but I did not feel like buying a large pleather naughty-nun outfit, which was just about the last thing at the Halloween store. What was I thinking shopping on the day of!?? They were already busy installing Christmas decorations (seriously??) . So, I called Jamey and he luckily had a readily-available Russian military outfit for me, with matching gun, and the coolest hat that is difficult to part with!

Scott went off to work as a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle and promptly became a human-sized sponge in the rain.
When he got home, we went to the Aveda Institute to get our facials (yes, facials...I wanted to treat him to a nice spa day after a long week and after a pretty good paycheck I got earlier that day). It was kind of weird. Scott decided on Mad Max as his 2nd costume change of the day. So, net shirt, leather jacket, tight pants and big boots were in order and possibly not the best choice for going to have your face massaged and shit. But, it was relaxing and he enjoyed himself. We stood in the mirror for like an hour, examining our pores and talking about toner and exfoliation. Weird, I know. But somehow, we enjoy it and can't get enough of each other.

Oh! And I got to see Bloodhag last night! It was awesome! They play songs about books and authors (namely science fiction) and throw out free sci-fi books to the audience, and praise those who have their library cards on them! They were totally awesome. I got to dork out a bit with the singer afterwards--however, he did NOT guess who the author is on the inside of my arm. He didn't even want to try. Darn it. I did get to gush that I'm a high school English teacher that feels very strongly about incorporating the things that you love--such as books/authors and metal. He did sign the book that I caught from him.

I am off to Mike Thrash's house for a vegan family dinner and then Jamey is so graciously conducting an "Uninformed Voters' Party" where he will explain, in simple English, the ballot measures to Scott, Jenn and me. I need to get that ballot off ASAP.

My school is doing a cute, fake election on Tuesday night; we voted last week and we're going to see how close our school was from the national elections. We're going to pop a squat in front of the TV and eat some pizza too. I'm pretty excited.

No comments: